How to Import a DVD into iMovie ‘0
The latest iMovie represent a major change from the previous version. The developers put in a lot of improvements to speed up the movie making process. Unfortunately, the ability to easily import DVDs was not on their to-do list.
Importing a DVD into iMovie is not a straightforward process. However, there is a way of doing it that doesn’t require the use of third party software. A far as I know, this method only works with iMovie ’08 and the DVD you want to transfer can’t contain any copy protected material.
- Insert the DVD you want to transfer to iMovie.
- Launch Disk Utility.app (found in the Utilities folder under Applications).
- Select the DVD and click the New Image icon located in the toolbar.
- Name your image and select a save location (I normally save to the desktop).
- Once you have your image, doubleclick to mount it.
- Launch iMovie. The program should automatically recognize the DVD image and begin processing the files.
- Have fun editing your video files!
Update: Most likely due to a software update, this solution often results in iMovie crashing. One possible workaround involves using HandBrake to convert your DVD into an mp4 file. You can then import that file into iMovie. Depending on the length of the video, this method can take quite a long time